The British Colonial Law Courts
The site of the building was historically occupied by the Lusignan Palace, the former residence of the Frankish kings of Cyprus in the Middle Ages. The British colonial administration saw this building too weak and ruinous and decided to destroy it. They wanted to keep the historical gate of the palace, which was technically impossible and therefore it was moved to the present-day Lapidary Museum.
The current law courts building was designed in 1899 by Charles Bellamy, the Director of Public Works. The construction lasted between 1900 and 1904, after which the law courts, postal service, land registry office and police moved in. By the 1920s, when the building was considered too small for the administration needs, new blocks were added to the east and west of the central building. The building was again part by part renovated between 1998 and 2009.
The building is in the Neoclassical architectural style. The central building is rectangular and built of yellow stone (ashlar). The entrance gate is a tower that protrudes from the front façade of the building, with semicircular arches on its three sides. The other façades are characterized by two-story colonnades and rooms located behind these.