Former Bishop’s Palace / Archbishop’s Palace
Next to it is the new Archbishop’s Palace, a two-storey stone building in Neo-Byzantine style housing the offices of the archdiocese and the residence of the archbishop.It was built by Archbishop Makarios III between 1956 and 1960 and its general plans were designed by George Nomikos in Athens, while Nicholas S. Roussos and John Pericleous from Limassol were responsible for all other architectural work.
The bronze sculpture of Makarios III, the first president of Cyprus, used to be on its grounds but now moved to the monastery of Kykkos. It was sculpted by Nikolas Kotziamannis, weighs around 30 lbs and is about 30 feet tall.
Although the Archbishop’s Palace is not open to the public; the Byzantine Museum, Library of the Archbishopric, Folk Art Museum and the National Struggle Museum located on its grounds are open to the public.